Aloha Plumerias! We are back from our amazing trip to Maui and Oahu and I have a list of the products I took in my carry-on for the two week trip. I used just about everything except a few items and those I will list at the bottom. This was a good trial run for a longer trip in just carry-ons for the two of us, but I feel I want to still trim down a few things. Flying home we were still able to not have to check a bag but… our bags felt quite full and I did not even buy a ton of items. Since I plan to shop when we travel to Paris and Africa, and want to have the room and freedom of extra space I plan to pair down even more. One thing I have noticed over the last few trips is my backpack ends up being quite heavy on my back especially when trudging through layovers and I end up with quite the neck/headache after. I think my Ipad and case might be adding to the issue since its one of the first generations so not as lite as the new ones, and my case seems to be heavy…
Anyway… Back to the list! I will have a simplified list first and then list everything in its category of what exactly I brought. At the end will be a list of the items I really could have done without (they will also be marked with a star).
Pressed face powder
Under eye concealer
Eye shadow Pallet
Deep Red lipstick
Pale Pink gloss
Soap bar face wash
Tooth brush and paste
-Bath & Body-
Solid lotion bar
Roller ball perfume
2 Wide mouth clips
Now for the breakdown of products!
– Makeup –
(I tend to only pack pressed powder items as it limits my liquid bag usage and is less messy than loose powders.)
- Glo Minerals Moisturizing Tint SPF 30+ in Medium
I rarely wear a full liquid foundation anymore, especially on vacation. I want my skin to breathe in the pure island air as much as possible. This guy is perfect for travel (though its my go to at home as well) since its a great multi-tasker. SPF? Check! Moisturizer? Check! Light blur of imperfections? Check!
- Glo Minerals Pressed Base in Golden Dark* and Honey Medium
I use these for a little more coverage when acting going out and to keep the oil under control. They can be light to fuller coverage in my opinion, just depending on what tool you use to apply them. I use a fluffy brush for light dusting or for fuller coverage my beauty blender or kabuki brush. As with all Glo Minerals products they are Talc free and the quality is the best of any mineral makeup I have tried. These also have the best color range for those with different undertones and medium, tan, and darker skin tones.
- Murad Treatment Concealer in Medium
I love this guy! It as the perfect consistency to cover blemishes and treats them at the same time! The size is great for travel since it is in a stick form. I apply after tinted moisturizer and before powder, blending it in by patting with my beauty blender (swiping tends to just wipe it all off).
- Lancome Maquicomplet Concealer in Clair II*
Nice and creamy for the under eye area. Also compact in its tube with a wand. I blend it in with my beauty blender and set with powder.
- Glow Minerals Bronze Powder in Sunlight
A deep bronze color that blends wonderfully. Has a light gold shimmer but nothing over the top. Works well as my check contour since its not overly intense.
- Buxom Hot Escapes Bronzer in Tahiti*
A stunning luminous bronzer perfect for the cheekbones. It is one of the Buxom items that has no Talc.
- Glo Minerals Blush in Sweet
Coraly pink blush that looks great on a summer tan for a nice glow. Its not a deep blush but rather sheer and light. The compact size makes it a travel companion.
- Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Granite
So easy to just swipe and go for a clean and groomed brow. Doesn’t take a lot of space up and is quick fix.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Dark Brown
Only used for evenings and a few outings its slim and comes with the spooly to tame and blend the pencil in.
- Pacifica Eye Pencil in Brown
I use this guy for very soft eye liner that I smudge for a natural look when I don’t want to deal with liquid. Super smooth and creamy so no tugging on the eyelid. I always set it with powder since I have oily lids.
- Kat VonD Eyeliner Pen in Black
Slim and easy to master its the ultimate liner for me. I have tried so many that still smear all over my eyes! This goes on every trip with me.
- Urban Decay Naked Pallet 1*
The best pallet for a bronze eye. I prefer pallets to single eye shadows as they can start to become bulky when you bring three or more.
- Pacifica Mascara in Deep
This is between a colbalt blue and a navy. You can’t tell at first except if you look really close and in certain lighting. Its the best natural mascara I have tried as it doesn’t dry my lashes out, does not smear or flake, and while a more natural look it provides good length.
- Mac Lipstick in Dare You
A warm creamy deep red that doesn’t overpower the face. I don’t even need a lip liner with this guy, just swipe and on you go. It adds a nice color for evenings but does not require constant reapplying as it fades through the night.
- Lorac Pro Matte Lip Color in Pink Taupe/Rose Taupe
Lip liner and stick in one = travel ready. This is my perfect soft mauve shade and not overly drying. Sometimes I layer Fresh Lip balm in Rose over it for a little moisture and softness.
- Buxon Lip Polish in Sophia*
This came in a kit from Sephora a while ago so its travel sized and a nice soft mauve pink.
(All are synthetic hair as I am allergic to goat hair and prefer the feel of synthetic)
- Tarte Kabuki Brush
Small and dense this brush provides the most coverage for my face powders.
- Beauty Blender – Black
My do all makeup tool.
- MUFE DOUBLE-ENDED SCULPTING BRUSH – 158
Two in one! Blush and Bronzer brush combined?? Yes Honeyyyy. I love Make Up Forever brushes, they don’t shed and ares so soft. The quality is on par with the higher price.
- MUFE POWDER KABUKI – 124
Soft fluffy powder brush perfect for setting the face or applying a overall glow.
- Shiseido Eyelash Curler*
Fits my tiny almond eyes and doesn’t pinch. Plus the black chrome look is divine.
– Skincare –
- Lush Coalface Bar
This is what I use at home already for my blemish prone skin. I pack soap bars as they don’t use up space in my limited liquids baggy.
- Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum
My life is not complete without this. Last me forever, is natural, and makes my skin so smooth. It is under the 3.4 oz requirement and worth it to bring with you.
- iS Clinical active serum
While pricey this guy packs a punch and really helps to treat problem skin, and dark spots. My esthetician gave me a mini to take on the trip which saved some space. (Yay for free minis!!)
- Lush Tea Tree Water – Toner water
So refreshing after a workout or after a day at the beach. Since its size is perfect its easy to throw in my liquids baggy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Wipes
Great for use after the shower to prevent breakouts as it tones the skin. It also has aloe and rose water in it to soothe as it kills bacteria. I use straight ACV at home on a cotton round but these are perfect for travel since they are individual packets you can place in your bag and don’t count as liquid. Don’t worry the smell fades very fast. Plus its inexpensive! 100% All Natural Apple Cider Vinegar with Rose+Tea Tree.
- SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30
One of the rare facial sunscreens that does not make me break out, and leaves no chalky residue on my face. I also use it on my chest, neck, and ears on beach days. A tiny drop goes a long way so it lasts forever and is only 1.7 fl oz.
- Melaleuca Sunshades Lip balm SPF 30
I love this stuff. I have at least eight. My favorite is the mint as it feels so refreshing on dry lips and protects them from sunburn.
– Bath & Body –
- Trader Joes Tea Tree Soap bar
Clean fresh scent that is neutral and perfect for sharing. I carry it in a 99 cent target soap container.
- Coconut oil with Jasmine
In a small container with jasmine essential oils this is for my hair, skin, and makeup remover. I usually count this as a solid and have never had a issue with TSA.
- Primal Pit Paste Deodorant Jar
This is the best natural deodorant of all time!! I bring my jar and leave the stick at home because it is much smaller than the stick. Yet again its a solid so it does not count as a liquid.
- Lush Massage bar (Solid lotion bar)
My must have for travel as it is a solid piece of shea and cocoa butter so it moisturizes deeply and doesn’t go in the liquids bag! I have a few different scents so it depends on the mood which I take.
- Rose l’occitane Roller ball perfume
Small and compact with the perfect scent. It doesn’t have a sugary fake scent but a fresh walking in a garden scent.
– Haircare –
- Single Olive Oil Mask Packets
Got these for free at Sally’s beauty supply with a purchase. I brought about four and ended up using two. They were awesome for beach days to apply a little before and a little after rinsing off.
- As I am Co-wash mini
This is what we use at home and can’t survive without. It is so moisturizing it could be used alone if needed.
- As I am Intensive Conditioner mini*
Perfect consistency that does not weigh my hair down but isn’t so light I can’t feel it. Also does not leave a residue.
- As I am Leave-in Conditioner mini*
Nice balanced leave in that helps with detangling and protecting the hair.
- As I am Curl Jelly mini
I never used this till the trip and Oh My Goodness I am getting the full sized. My curls were so defined and soft when used in conjunction with my usual Deva curl cream. No crunch and they held up in the humidity.
- Deva Curl Coconut Curl Cream mini
My can’t live without hair product. I use this after the gel to add moisture and smoothness to the curls and a little extra definition. A little goes a long way so it lasts forever.
- Tweezerman Rubber Detangle brush
Small and a can’t live without brush. I use it when conditioning and it smoothes my curls and helps them define. Its so good James has stolen it for his curls.
Stuff I could have left at home…
- Glo Minerals Pressed Base in Golden Dark* – I didn’t need to bring two bases and ended up using only the darker of the two.
- Lancome Maquicomplet Concealer in Clair II* – Used it barely once and only because it was there and I felt bad I had not used it. Since I did not do my makeup much let alone a full face it was not needed.
- Buxom Hot Escapes Bronzer in Tahiti* – I love this guy but I did not need two bronzers and used the darker one only. I will probably bring this one instead of my Glo Minerals one to Paris since it will be winter and it gives a softer lighter bronze.
- Urban Decay Naked Pallet 1*- Used twice in two weeks = not worth the space. It is on the larger side so it was not worth it for how little I ended up using it. Could have done two or four shadow pallet at most. Or even just a single eye crayon.
- Buxon Lip Polish in Sophia* – Again just barely used since I had a few other options. I would do a lip stick at night and chapstick during the day.
- Shiseido Eyelash Curler*- Never even used… And it takes up a good amount of space in my makeup bag!
- As I am Intensive Conditioner mini* OR As I am Leave-in mini – I could have done with just one or the other to save some space. Both work well and I had my masks so I did not need to have all three.